What: Silo (by Joost)
Where: 123 Hardware Street, Melbourne 3000
Silo is the newest ‘zero-waste’ café in Melbourne by the eco-advocate and artist Joost Bakker.
- A very small menu (available online) – but the coddled hen eggs (with mushrooms) are amazing.
- Plus the home-made lemonade is amazing (very fizzy though)
- A waste free menu that changes with the seasons.
- Food is from all local and organic suppliers
- All fresh produce is delivered in returnable, recyclable, reusable crates
- All organic waste is treated in the café’s own food waste dehydrator
- The café has a 15 seat communal dining bar
With only one communal table and the kitchen literally behind your back, the room is a bit cramped for me, but I love the concept overall and the coffee.
Suggest going on a clear day and sitting outside.