Tuesday 28 August 2012

Creamy Pumpkin Soup

Although it is the end of winter here in Melbourne, having just returned from a trip to Kuala Lumpur I am struggling to view 18 degrees as warm and so have been feasting on all types of winter warmers.

The hardest thing I found whilst being away was that as it was a work trip I had to stay in a hotel. Oh yes, I know what a struggle! In my defence, it meant that I couldn't cook which was a struggle. I am so used to being able to control what goes into my meals (and how big they are!) that I found it quite difficult. With another trip (but this time a holiday) coming up soon, I am glad I have booked in an apartment for a few days so that I can at least make myself the occasional light meal.

Now that I am well and truly back at home, I realised I have missed out on weeks of new restaurant openings and of course catch ups with friends so am still eating out quite a bit, but alternating with the occasional light winter warmer at home. This recipe is the classic example of a quick meal that is filling, nourishing and warming; perfect for a night on the couch catching up on The Farmer Wants a Wife!




Ingredients

  • 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock (cubes will do in a hurry)
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • 4 kaffir lime leaves (the extras freeze very well in a ziplock)
  • 1.5kg pumpkin, cubed (I prefer butternut for its easy chopping qualities)
  • 1 cup coconut milk
  • 1/2 bunch coriander
  • 1 birds eye chilli (you can substitute a dried chilli or even chilli flakes)
  • 1/2 lime, juiced
Method

  1. Into a large pot, add the stock, fish sauce, pumpkin and 3 lime leaves (bruised).
  2. If using dried chilli add it to the pot now.
  3. Bring liquid to the boil and simmer for 10 mins for until pumpkin is soft.
  4. Remove from the heat and remove lime leaves.
  5. Using either a blender or bamix/stick blender, purée liquid and pumpkin until smooth.
  6. Add coconut milk. Although I have said 1 cup above, it really depends on how creamy you want your soup so make sure to taste as you add and mix.
  7. On a low heat, warm the soup without boiling (boiling will cause your coconut milk to split)
  8. Finely slice your birds eye chilli and remaining lime leaf (you can roll it up into a long tube to make slicing easier).
  9. Once your soup is hot, pour into bowls and top with some chilli and kaffir lime slices, coriander leaves and a drizzle of coconut milk and lime juice.
  10. This recipe makes at least 6 servings and freezes very well for those times you need an instant meal.
Glutton

No comments:

Post a Comment