As I mentioned in a previous post, I freeze bananas (and anything else that will survive) rather than wasting it. However bananas seem to take up most of my freezer space, so I am on a clearing out spree to make room for all my winter warmers. The latest banana using addition is this delicious banana bread from 101 Cookbooks.
I made mine as mini loaves and swapped the icing for a quick zap in microwave before eating. This is quite a dense bread so if you do make them as mini loaves or muffins, go for a slightly smaller size.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 bananas mashed (or if using frozen, just defrost)
- 1/4 cup natural yoghurt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease either a loaf tin, a muffin tray or mini loaf pan.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients, lemon zest and sugar.
- Sift in the flour, baking soda, and salt and add the chocolate pieces.
- Fold through the dry ingredients, but don't over beat as you want to keep the mix light..
- Pour into the pan and bake until golden brown. For a loaf this will take about 50 minutes or about 25 minutes for the muffins and mini loaves.
Cool and serve hot from the oven; delicious with a smear of butter!