To start – you will need to carefully select your Jerusalem Artichokes (they should be firm and fresh – not mushy)
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves (peeled but whole)
- 20-30 medium Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into dice sized chunks
- Note: The most difficult part by far is peeling the Jerusalem artichokes – be sure to leave about 45min for this.
- 4 peeled, and diced potatoes
- 3 Bay leafs
- 1 litre chicken stock
- (use vegetable stock for vegetarian option, and gluten-free stock if cooking gluten-free)
- Nutmeg (to taste – about 0.5 tsp)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cream to dress
- Melt the butter in a deep saucepan over medium-high heat (I used a large cast iron one)
- Microwave on high the diced potatoes for 4-5 min (until 80% cooked)
- Sweat the onions, garlic, Jerusalem artichokes and microwaved potatoes for 5 minutes. (Be Careful not to brown them)
- Add the chicken stock (homemade stock is always best), and bay leafs and simmer till the Jerusalem artichokes are cooked (tested by inserting a skewer into them – should push in easily) – approx 15-25 min.
- In a blender - purée the soup in batches (when using an upright blender only fill the blender a third of the way)
- Once all blended returned to the saucepan and add nutmeg, pepper and salt to taste.
Serve with drizzle of cream on top and fresh bread.