But alas - do not fear - Lush is hear with a solution - see my recipes below for the perfect stay at home (in the AirCon) dinner party.
MAIN - Cold Chicken in Curried Cream (serves 6-10)
PLEASE NOTE - this dish must be prepared the day prior.
- 1.5kg skinless chicken breasts (cut into medium sized tenderloins)
- Poached gently at a simmer on the stove-top in a thin stock consisting of:
- Chicken Stock Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Curry Powder
- Mild Smoked Paprika
- Cumin Powder
- Lemon Oil (or zest will substitute)
- Poach until just done and tender. (do not overcook or will be tough).
- Let cool, then refrigerate for 3 hours in half the cooking liquid (add ice to expedite)
- Whilst the chicken is cooling in the fridge, you can start to prepare the curried cream sauce:
- First in a saucepan, saute until translucent and soft:
- 3 Tbl vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, roughly diced
- Once soft, add:
- 1 Tbl curry powder (cook for a further one minute)
- Remove from heat, and add
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbl apricot jam
- 1 Tbl mango chutney
- Once completely cool - fold in:
- ½ cup oil mayonnaise
- ½ cup cream, lightly whipped to soft peaks
Finishing it off
- Drain the chicken pieces
- Layer in a casserole dish (alternating layers of Sauce/Chicken)
- Ensure all chicken is covered
- Then Refrigerated overnight
SIDE - Turkish Spoon Salad (serves 6-10)
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 lemon - juiced + 1 tsp zest
- 1 tbsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli (finely grated)
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 bunch mint (finely chopped)
- 2 punnets cherry tomatoes
- 2 yellow capsicums (bell peppers)
- 2 Lebanese cucumber
- 3 whole pomegranates
- 1 cup shelled pistachios
- Combine the pomegranate molasses, lemon juice and zest, vinegar, oil and chilli in bowl
- Add the parsley and mint to the same bowl and refrigerate to marinate for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, Finely dice (into peanut sized pieces):
- Cherry tomatoes - each needs to be cut into sixths (or use whole tomatoes but remove seeds)
- Cucumber - with the seeds removed
- Capsicums - also with the seeds removed
- Combine with the remaining ingredients (i.e add vegetables to sauce/herbs).
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes - this will allow the flavours to infuse perfectly.
- Once marinated - drain in a sieve to remove any excess juices that has accumulated.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
BeveragesIt can be unwise to serve wine or sparkling on extremely hot day - therefore I would stick to beer or non-alcoholic beverages.
Enjoy the AirCon and your cold feast.