Thursday 16 January 2014

Burma Lane

What: Burma Lane
Where: 118 Little Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

To be honest, I had no idea what to expect when it came to Burmese food. I simply assumed it was going to be very similar to other south-east Asian cuisines. Upon investigation, I found out that the main influences in Burmese cuisine are Chinese, Indian and Thai due to Burma’s bordering neighbors, combined with a slight western influences due to colonization and trade.


What we ate:


ENTREE (shared of course)

  • Kun Sar Thi - Betel leaf w/ chicken, shallot, peanuts, green mango & Sichuan pepper
  • Crispy soft shell crab w/ dandauk salad & sour chilli (WOW)

MAINS (shared of course)


  • Pickled tea leaf salad - tea leaves, tomato, peanuts, sesame seeds, crunchy broad beans & cabbage (AMAZING)
  • Scallops & BBQ pork wok fried w/ yellow noodles, Chinese celery & coriander
  • Prawns cooked in banana leaf w/ spices & herbs

DESSERT
(I must admit these were not my favorite, largely due to my preference for western desserts)

  • Sago & coconut pudding w/ coconut & seasonal fruits
  • Pandan, coffee & coconut jelly with coconut sorbet 


Review

Given the wide variety of cuisine in Melbourne generally, I don't think I would personally add Burmese to my standard rotation. But as their website states: it really is "Fresh, Vibrant and Deliciously Different!"

Give it a try - after all variety is the spice of life.
(apologies for the picture - I only remembered to take a picture once we had finished)
Lush

No comments:

Post a Comment